Wilderness Connect, housed on the University of Montana campus, acknowledges that we are on the traditional lands of the Salish and Kalispel peoples, who have stewarded this land throughout many generations and are its past, present, and future caretakers.
2019 Printable Wilderness Wall Map (this is a large file)
- Overall Benefits of Wilderness
- Wilderness Protects Drinking Water Sources
- Wilderness Protects Elk and Deer Migration Routes near Yellowstone National Park
- Wilderness Protects the Home of the Endangered Desert Tortoise
- Wilderness and the History of the Coast Guard in the Brigantine Wilderness
- Wilderness and Protected Ecosystems
- Wilderness and Protected Rocks
- Wilderness Recreation Close to Home
- Wilderness and Wild and Scenic Rivers and National Trails
- Wilderness and Science Mapping Weeds in the Welcome Creek Wilderness
- Wilderness and Sound Pollution
It's essential to have a good map with you in the backcountry, so here are some good options for places that offer quality printed wilderness maps.
Local Outdoor/Sporting Goods Stores: Generally carry a selection of local recreation maps.
MyTopo: Prints custom topographic or aerial photographic maps that you create through their online interface and mails them to you next-day. Choose the location, size, resolution, paper type, and other map attributes like flat or folded. This is a much cheaper option than purchasing individual USGS quads and the maps are extremely high quality.
National Forest Map Store: Offers standard wilderness-specific maps for most Forest Service wilderness areas. These are typically great maps, although some are older and may contain dated data.
United States Geologic Survey: Offers standard quad maps for purchase online or free download.
If you don't have a GPS unit, you can still access wilderness data on many smartphones. Many smartphones also offer GPS capabilities.
Download a Mapping App (select apps listed)
- Google Maps and Google Earth apps: These often do not mark the actual wilderness boundaries, but a name search will pinpoint one or more locations.
- Avenza app: Increasingly used by the Forest Service to provide access to PDF travel maps. Search for maps by National Forest name. Free PDF maps and for-pay maps are available through this app.
- ArcGIS app: Provides access to maps created by ESRI, other companies, and individuals on ArcGIS online. Wilderness Connect's wilderness boundary data is widely-used by GIS professionals, so a search for wilderness will produce national, local and regional maps.
- onX app: Specifically for hunters and includes public/private land boundaries, hunting districts and other data.
.kmz format files are for use in Google Earth. Since Google Earth can have performance issues with large files (errors have been reported to this effect), a single file containing all wilderness areas is not available. Instead, state-wide Google Earth wilderness files are available for you to download.