2019 Printable Wilderness Wall Map (this is a large file)
- Overall Benefits of Wilderness
- Wilderness Protects Drinking Water Sources
- Wilderness Protects Elk and Deer Migration Routes near Yellowstone National Park
- Wilderness Protects the Home of the Endangered Desert Tortoise
- Wilderness and the History of the Coast Guard in the Brigantine Wilderness
- Wilderness and Protected Ecosystems
- Wilderness and Protected Rocks
- Wilderness Recreation Close to Home
- Wilderness and Wild and Scenic Rivers and National Trails
- Wilderness and Science Mapping Weeds in the Welcome Creek Wilderness
- Wilderness and Sound Pollution
Local Outdoor/Sporting Goods Stores: Generally carry a selection of local recreation maps.
MyTopo: Prints custom topographic or aerial photographic maps that you create through their online interface and mails them to you next-day. Choose the location, size, resolution, paper type, and other map attributes like flat or folded. This is a much cheaper option than purchasing individual USGS quads and the maps are extremely high quality.
National Forest Map Store: Offers standard wilderness-specific maps for most Forest Service wilderness areas. These are typically great maps, although some are older and may contain dated data.
United States Geologic Survey: Offers standard quad maps for purchase online or free download.
If you don't have a GPS unit, you can still access wilderness data on many smartphones. Many smartphones also offer GPS capabilities.
Download a Mapping App (select apps listed)
- Google Maps and Google Earth apps: These often do not mark the actual wilderness boundaries, but a name search will pinpoint one or more locations.
- Avenza app: Increasingly used by the Forest Service to provide access to PDF travel maps. Search for maps by National Forest name. Free PDF maps and for-pay maps are available through this app.
- ArcGIS app: Provides access to maps created by ESRI, other companies, and individuals on ArcGIS online. Wilderness Connect's wilderness boundary data is widely-used by GIS professionals, so a search for wilderness will produce national, local and regional maps.
- onX app: Specifically for hunters and includes public/private land boundaries, hunting districts and other data.